Friday, December 29, 2006

Questions? Lets talk about the ruby way

In The Ruby Way By Nicholas Petreley on Tue, 2006-12-05 11:09.
He asks "So here's my question to you Ruby aficianados. Did you have trouble adjusting to The Ruby Way of doing things? How long did it take for you to get used to Ruby's approach to objects, classes, instances, and the various oddities? How long was it before you started to feel like you really began tapping the power inherent in the language, and how much of that power do you attribute to Ruby's unique approach?"

I am quickly becoming a "Ruby aficianado", so I will take a stab at answering his questions.

I was able to adjust to the Ruby Way of doing things fairly quickly. Having recently spent a fair amount of time with python, Ruby's dynamic nature was welcoming, and familiar; However, up front blocks and procs were not. I would also add Ruby's open class nature was a surprise.

It took me about a month to get used to most of the various oddities. I tripped over small things, but found answers quickly online, or in a book. Irb is a great tool to work out understanding how to wield Ruby syntax, or code in general. I found I could read and understand most Ruby code quickly. Love the show source link on online rdoc, something sorely missing from javadoc.

I wrote an enterprise glue application that needed to be completed in one week. I was almost immediately able to tap the power inherent in the language. I found that I could express my thoughts more rapidly and adapt the codebase quickly to the changing requirements. Without going into any further detail, I will say that Ruby, ActiveRecord, and Rake saved the day. Not sure anything else would have done as well for the same task. Yes, Ruby has a unique approach and well worth using within the enterprise.

By the way the book The Ruby Way 2nd edition is well worth it. Like Nicholas I too was in a way put off by the list of Ruby oddities in the first chapter. I would recommend skipping that at first and coming back to it later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home